The first few lotions I made were great, but very thick and a bit hard. I wanted to find a lotion recipe that I was able to put into a pump and also into small containers to keep with me. After much trial and error, I found a recipe I was able to adapt - and now I want to share it with you!
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/2 cup almond oil (I also have used jojoba oil and it works exactly the same)
- 1/2 cup organic extra virgin coconut oil
- 3 tbsp. beeswax pellets (I use the pellets as they're the fastest to melt)
- 1 tbsp. Vitamin E oil
- Essential Oils for scent (optional)
1. Put the water and oats into a Mason jar and soak for 12 hours at room temperature.
2. Drain the oats, keeping the water from the oatmeal. You want to end up with 1/2 cup of oatmeal water. You'll be left with oats for breakfast! Set aside the oatmeal water for a later step.
3. In a bowl that can be heated (I use a glass measuring cup), add in the almond oil, coconut oil and beeswax. Heat this in a double boiler until fully melted.
4. Put the oil mixture into the fridge for 45 minutes.
5. Place the oatmeal water, Vitamin E oil and any essential oils into a mixing bowl. Scrape the container from the fridge into this bowl and mix both mixtures together with a handheld mixer. Continue to whip until it looks like soft, creamy lotion.
7. Use and enjoy! You can store this lotion at room temperature.